1959 marks the merging process of the Romanian University in Cluj with the Hungarian University. The new institution was called Babeș-Bolyai University and included six faculties at the time of its creation: Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Faculty of Chemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Geography, Faculty of Philology, Faculty of Law, Faculty of History and Philosophy.
Babeș-Bolyai University has become in time an emblem of success for Cluj and for the entire country. It is a dynamic and constructive institution well integrated into society and oriented towards future, a future which it can design, prepare and build. An institution that can only be conceived within the framework that consecrated it, that of the universitas magistrorum et scholarium (“community of magistrates and disciples”), of the community of teachers and students, of the “corporation of equals” with an exclusive preoccupation for innovation and knowledge.